Bender, Thomas 1978 Community and Social Change in America. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
Bloch, Maurice 1991 Language, anthropology and cognitive science. Man 26 (2): 183-198.
Bonis, Karen and Scott Bonis 1993 Reality. Escapees Newsletter 14(4):22
Carr, Cathie 1993 (March/April). Thoughts for the road: it's up to you. Escapees Newsletter 14(5): 5
Counts, David R. 1990 Too Many Bananas, Not Enough Pineapple, and No Watermelon At All. Pp.18-24 in The Humbled Anthropologist: Tales from the Pacific. Philip R. DeVita, ed. Wadsworth Publishing, Belmont, CA.To read this paper click here.
Counts, David R. and Dorothy A. Counts 1992 Exaggeration and Reversal: Clowning Among the Lusi- Kaliai. Pp. 88-103 in Clowning as Critical Practice: Performance Humor in the South Pacific. William Mitchell, ed. ASAO Monograph 13. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press.To read this paper click here.
Counts, David R. and Dorothy Ayers Counts 1998 Fictive Families in the Field. Pp 142-153 in Fieldwork and Families: Constructing New Models for Ethnographic Research. Juliana Flinn, Leslie Marshall and Jocelyn Armstrong eds. Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press.To read the text of this paper click here
Counts, Dorothy Ayers 1980 Akro and Gagandewa: A Melanesian Myth. Journal of the Polynesian Society 89(1):33-65.
Counts, Dorothy Ayers 1982 The Tales of Laupu: Stories from Kaliai, West New Britain. Told by Jakob Mua Laupu, Benedik Solou Laupu, and Maria Sapanga. Translated, transcribed, and with an Introduction by Dorothy Ayers Counts. Boroko: Institute of Papua New Guinea Studies.
Counts, Dorothy Ayers 1994 Snakes, adulterers, and the loss of paradise in Kaliai. In Children of Kilibob, special issue of Pacific Studies, Alice Pomponio, David R. Counts and Thomas G. Harding guest editors. Pacific Studies 17:109-151.To read the text of this paper click here
Counts, Dorothy Ayers and David R. Counts 1983 Father's Water Equals Mother's Milk: The Conception of Parentage in Kaliai, West New Britain. In Concepts of Conception: Procreation Ideologies in Papua New Guinea. Dan Jorgenson, ed. Special Issue of Mankind 14:46-56.To read the text of this paper click here
Counts, Dorothy Ayers and David R. Counts 1996 Over the Next Hill: An ethnography of senior RVers in North America. Peterborough: Broadview press.
Cowgill, Donald O. 1941 Mobile Homes: a study of trailer life. PhD dissertation. University of Pennsylvania.
Cowgill, Donald O.& Lowell D. Holmes (eds.) 1972 Aging and Modernization. New York: Appleton century Crofts.
Cumming, Elaine and William E. Henry 1961 Growing Old: The Process of Disengagement. New York: Basic Books.
Ferraro, Gary 1992 Cultural Anthropology: an applied perspective. St. Paul, MN: West Publishing Co.
Marshall, Victor W. 1985 Conclusions: Aging and dying in Pacific societies; Implications for theory in social gerontology. Pp. 251-274 in Counts, Dorothy Ayers and David R. Counts eds. Aging and its Transformations: Moving toward Death in Pacific Societies. ASAO Monograph 10. Pittsburgh, Pa.: University of Pittsburgh Press.
McPherson, Naomi Scaletta 1999 Personal communication.
Peterson, Joe and Kay Peterson 1991 The New Revised Survival Of the Snowbirds. Livingston, Texas: RoVers Publications.
Sahlins, Marshal 1972 The original affluent society. Pp. 1-40 in Stone Age Economics. Chicago: Aldine.
1. Singsing is Tok Pisin for a performance in which people sing and dance. Usually singsings involve traditional songs and dances, but in modern parlance a sing-along, either a capella or accompanied by guitar is also called a singsing.
2. This was when Bruce Rogers asked us the question quoted in the introduction to this essay..
3. An explanatory aside: Escapees have adopted the letters SKP as their acronym. When said rapidly the letters pronounce the name of the club. The letters stand for the values espoused by club members: Sharing Karing People, Special Kind of People, Sharing Knowledge and Parking, etc. Club members often call themselves Skips.
4. Kaliai stories such as "Akro and Gagandewa" or "Moro" explore the problems of mythic proportions that arise when a human marries or offends one of these Others (Counts 1980;.1994).To read the text of some Some Kaliai Stories click here
5. The last third of a 26 minute VHS video film called On The Road, produced by Asterisk Productions, was made at the CARE center in the fall of 1966 and illustrates, how the centre works. The video is available from Bullfrog Films PO Box 149, Olea, PA USA 19547-9989. Click here to go to their web site
To return to the West New Britain Home page click here West New Britain Web Page
To return to the Department of Anthropology Home Page click here anthro.html